As a focal point for health and safety professionals involved in major hazard industries, we aim to:
- provide specialist support for IOSH and its members on hazardous industries
- provide a structure for consultation and discussion through presentations and focused meetings
- help to review and develop legislation, codes of practice and guidance notes on significant hazard issues
- give our members information about effective risk management in major hazard industries and supporting activities
- organise and facilitate site visits, activities and networking opportunities
- establish links with key external organisations.
Specifically, we intend to:
- provide a forum for discussion on health and safety matters in the sector, especially between a relatively small group of major companies and an ever-increasing SME sector
- offer unified professional guidance in this large sector, with its many subcontracted service and support industries
- evaluate and promote voluntary protection programmes for significant hazard sites
- promote the sharing of information, data and best practice in a way that will facilitate health and safety benchmarking across the sector
- help to develop industry standards
- encourage those working in hazardous industries to get more training and qualifications, and to join IOSH
- promote partnership with other stakeholders, particularly enforcement agencies, insurers and specialist contractors and service providers
- help to improve the performance levels of health and safety practitioners and others in hazardous industries
- develop standards for training throughout the sector
- influence change in the sector by advising and working with key organisations in the UK and EU
- work with other groups and especially IOSH branches to improve efficiency.
We also want to forge effective links with employers, investors, government departments, standard-setting bodies, enforcement agencies and other interested parties so we can offer authoritative comments based on our members' vast experience. We want to make this experience and knowledge available as a valuable resource for IOSH and its members.